Tuesday, July 12, 2005

New York State Of Mind

We just drove across the George Washington Bridge. It's a clear night and I can see the Empire State Building. Bon Jovi is singing "It's My Life" as we cross into Jersey. I just doesn't get any better than this.



Years ago, I saw Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" tour (we were THIS close to him) and Madonna's "Like A Virgin" tour at Madison Square Garden. Another time, I saw Billy Joel at Giant's Stadium. "Say Goodbye to Hollywood", "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant", "Captain Jack", "Just The Way You Are", "Only The Good Die Young" and of course, "New York State of Mind".

All this music brings back such great memories. But before I loved Bon Jovi, I was in love with Disco. Since I was born in 1967, I grew up on the Disco of the 70's. I still love that music, but the formative, boy watching, Palisades Mall shopping, NYC club hopping was done during my 20's and in the time of Disco of the 80's. I recently read that they called that period of music, from around 1983 to 1991, Freestyle. And how I LOVED that music. It is THE essence of my life. THE essence of how I feel about New York. I still feel the same way today as I did back then when I hear that music. My world stops and I'm just transported.

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, Tiffani, Debbie Gibson, The Cover Girls, Shannon, Sa-Fire and who can forget Judy Torres' "Come Into My Arms". Oh My God - what a great time to be alive!!! I hear that music now and I am the happiest I can ever be and have ever been, in that very moment.

And the radio...man, the radio kicked ass! 92 WKTU, 98.7 KISS-FM and 107.5 WBLS. Oh man, WBLS and their "Quiet Storm"....what a late night treat!!! I miss that time soooo much. Even at the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy, there was ALWAYS a radio station hosting and giving away prizes...usually 92 WKTU. I remember getting a mug and a SIGNED picture of Al (last name??), one of the DJ's. I was just SOOO excited. In fact, I think I still have it!

I remember taping songs off the radio. I had tons of cassette tapes labeled "Quiet Storm", and "Jams from KISS-FM". I listened to them until they WORE out. I think I still have some of them those too.

This has been just a great night.....all the music, the memories....just a great night.

I am SO in a New York State of Mind.

No comments: