Monday, July 10, 2006

Why Oh Why

I was recently told by a friend, "You have a 'why' background."

Meaning, I always ask why. About everything; Why does a motor run? Why do you get up so early in the morning? Why did you just say that? Why are you wearing those shoes with that skirt? Why isn't she meeting us for coffee? Why do we have to go to church? Why is the sky blue? Why don't you drink Diet Coke instead of Diet Pepsi?

Why? Why? Why?

I've always been like this; my mother said I asked so many questions when I was little that she thought her head was going to explode giving me answers.

I'd like to know what the problem is with all of my question asking. I like to be informed. I like to know as much as I can, I like to get inside someone's head if I have to, fully understand a situation if needed; it makes me feel connected. If it's a person, it makes me feel closer to you. If it's a task, it makes me feel competent. If it's a procedure, it makes me feel like I can shake my head and say, "Ohhhhh. Now I get it."

When children are young, they are encouraged to ask why. But adults are told that they are nosey or probing or being annoying. I mean, it's not like I incessantly chant the word. I just want to know things.

WHY is that a problem?

No comments: