Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Mother Of A Mother

I'm guessing my brother isn't too happy being squeezed into one of those little photo booths with my mother and I. But take a look at how both my mother and I have such a grip on him; I have one hand around my mother's neck and one hand on my brother's chubby little belly. I still grip them both the same way today, even if most of the time it's only in my thoughts.

My childhood years were the best years OF. MY. LIFE. I would go back to that time in a heartbeat. My mother made every day an adventure; whether we were going to the playground down the block from my grandparents house, sitting on the front stoop waiting for the ice cream man, making macaroni necklaces at the kitchen table or riding behind her on the John Deere as she mowed our lawn. Everything she did was for the benefit of us and our home was always a place filled with music, laughter, family, food, fun and tons of love.

There are several people I've come across in my life that don't know that kind of love and it just boggles my mind. I just think, how can that be?? I don't know how all mothers aren't like that. I mean, it's their JOB. With my mother, it wasn't as much a job as it was a natural talent. She just knew. Knew how to effortlessly be everything she was and she did it flawlessly. If she made any mistakes, we never noticed. And if she was ever in doubt of her ability, we never suspected. If I went back in time right now, I wouldn't change a thing. OK, well, maybe one thing; I'd make sure she knew how to swim. That was always a nightmare, the whole making-sure-Mommy-doesn't-drown bit. But other than that, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

So, Happy Mother's Day to my sparklingly beautiful, charmingly eccentric, accidentally funny, snuggly "shawft" Mommy!!

A funny side note:

This morning when I called to bestow Mother's Day greetings on her, my stepfather answered the phone with a booming "Happy Mother's Day!"

I laughed and said, "You're not a mother."

"Hey," he said, "where I come from in the Bronx, that's half a word."

Clearly, I forgot to add tolerant to the list of my mother's attributes.

4 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Look at your beautiful mom! I'm with you--it's unbelievable to me that some people didn't grow up with the unconditional love of a mom. We're very lucky :)

Anonymous said...

Sometime, I'd like to tell you about my Mother.
love,
ed's mom

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. And what a fantastic photo of the 3 of you. LOVE it. Love, Jules

Cara menyembuhkan jantung bengkak said...

thank you very useful information admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here may help :

Obat penebalan dinding rahim ampuh
Cara mengatasi mudah lupa
Cara mengobati stroke ringan
Cara menyembuhkan vartigo