Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Keeping The Homeland Secure One Dog At A Time

My mother has been saying how she wanted to experience life on the road as we live it, so we recently granted her wish and took her on an overnight trip in the truck.

She is an excellent passenger; doesn't complain, doesn't eat much and wasn't at all demanding. Ed must have been thinking about taking her on the road, because truth be told, she is the absolute opposite of me. She really seemed to be enjoying herself and was drinking in the whole experience as you would expect a curious traveler to do.


Personally, I think the thing that kept her so satisfied was the constant ambient temperature of the truck, which I like to keep right around 65 degrees. Perfect for traveling through the desert during the summer.

As we approached the California state line, we came upon a border patrol checkpoint. There was a long, snaking line of tractor trailers and passenger cars, which eventually slowed to a stop, causing my mother to look up from her book.

She glanced out the window and said, "Are all of these people stopping at this hot dog stand?"

"Hot dog stand?? Mom, this is a border patrol checkpoint."

"Ohhhhh," she said. "Well, I saw the umbrella and thought they were selling hot dogs."

We both laughed at her mistake, but honestly, they may as well have been selling hotdogs. For all the money that goes towards the farce of "homeland security," I'd be more satisfied if my tax dollars went toward a weenie with all the fixings rather than one in a uniform.

No comments: