Thursday, October 30, 2008

Emulating The Brazilian Bombshell

This one was in 1993. I went as Carmen Miranda. That's me on the far right.

I was FABULOUS! I worked at a resort hotel and every year before I'd go out, I'd stop by the hotel to show off my costume to my co-workers. I had guests at the hotel stopping me in the lobby to take pictures with me. This costume was one of my biggest hits!

I made my entire costume from scratch, without a pattern. My brother helped me with the hat, which was we made out of wire lath fashioned into a huge cone, which I then covered in fabric to match my costume, before my brother took his screw gun to the plastic fruit, which was screwed to the wire to hold it on. I finished it off by hot gluing grapes and flowers to the rest of the hat. The hat must have weighed 15 pounds; I felt like a Vegas showgirl trying to keep it on my head!

No comments: